Day93 Making Pilot house cambers
Bending the camber for the pilot house top frames is very time consuming!!
On average it took me around an hour to do each one. I know, I know... why not take them in to a machine shop and have them all done in a n afternoon?
It's because I can say " I did it myself" and be proud of it when the job is done!
The scheme here, with the bender we made for stringers, is as follows:
  • Mark a center, and then mark every 6 inches out from it
  • On each mark, tighten the nut by hand until snug
  • Put on wrench as far over to right as possible, then to left 6 times
  • Do again on flip side of bar to counter warping, 6 turns on each
  • Flip again, and 5 turns only halfway between marks

Tacked in frames but all is not well!
This pattern had to evolve over a couple of peices, and seemed easier after a while. Because the camber is bigger the ones last year on the poop-deck, more points of bend were required. 7 turns would badly twist the bar, so 6 was the limit.
As an end-of-the-day decision, we decided to put up the frames. Unfortunately we hadn't given things a good thinking through! Instead of matching each piece over the master, I had just stacked them one on top of the other, thereby causing an error in height! Then, to top it off, they were put up in a random order.
The day was ruined because of this, so we packed it in.
Even just a slight misalignment in the ends caused a difference of up to 1/2" inch in the center. Also, because the pilothouse roof is to be level at the center, the sides would have to curve up some. We knew this but when the sides were higher, lower, then higher again, we knew something was awry!
We'll fix it next weekend.

Day 93:
8 hours - Made cambers for pilot house, and attempted (haha) installation

The Big Sailboat Project series DVD's available at

We're getting rave reviews!