Day 456 TV/Cover/ stereo, anchor stops, table
Now that we have a nice big LCD TV in the galley / dining area installed, the protective cover had to be made. I wanted this to look good so I blacked out the edges by carefully sanding the Lexan, then painting it with Tremclad flat.
I have done enough projects like this for other people at work to know that Tremclad works pretty well. It's for us, so I added an extra coat!

   Last night I made the little speaker grilles. I couldn't find any of the standard stuff that was used years ago to cover speakers on console stereos and such, even in our "junk pile" storage cupboard, so I just found some material in the sewing room that seemed to fit the bill.

It has a paisley pattern sorta, lots of browns and pastels. I made itty bitty frames and tacked the material on from the other side. Notice the holes drilled in the Lexan for the speakers. I didn't want to go too big or it might compromise the strength of the thing. A good body check might still break it, but I don't want to tempt fate where the TV is concerned, especially when one will be cruising  with a "movie maniac" hehe! Hi Georgena!

   After wiring everything over to the "telly", I thought I may as well get the stereo hooked up properly. That's it in the frame to the left. To see more of it in all it's glory (and I recommend checking it out just for the pictures!) a new window will open for it when you click here. (stereo.htm)

The whole thing works great, even though the back speakers aren't hooked up yet. Those'll make it a home theatre system.

The stereo box is such a tight fit into it's frame that only one tiny screw in the side of the frame holds it in.

The little round hole under it is the mastcam / radar video feed switch. That video also feeds to the dash PC.

Everyone expected it, two electronics techs living on a boat. Of course there must be lots of bells and whistles!
After spending the morning with the above, I had to get some more stainless trinkets made. The latch handles that pull the heavy door aft shut to a seal needed their handles cut shorter before polishing. Gena routed out the slots larger for the strike plates.

That door will be pinned open most of the time, but it's good to be able to crank them down to seal it in an emergency. (Sorry no pics yet!)

Next on the frantic agenda, before the boat mover shows up, is to make the anchor roller stops. To be honest I completely forgot about these until Gena mentioned it. They stop the anchor from bouncing up and down in the roller assembly!

One of them in the picture is together. The other "t" handle has a washer on the bottom held on with a 10/24 SS screw. This is so the plate doesn't fall off and drop into the drink. The top nut is to be replaced by the threaded top of the tilting anchor roller assembly. (Once again, no picture! I promise to post one as soon as I can!)

The 4 holes in the plate are to attach a chunk of 1/4" rubber.

The cockpit table I worked on yesterday needed some SS supports as mentioned before. Once hammered into the hole, you can see the short pipe welded onto a tab sticking out. This is to hang it from the pedistal. Screws and glue were used to seat them, and the claw was traced on to plate attached to reinforce that. After a good polishing they'll look better I'm sure :)
Two photos below show the table in "action". It's a must on every boat I think. It can be easily stowed below, or left hanging while at anchor.

Speaking of hanging, there's Gena on the sprit. What is she doing? I went and asked.

Ooops!  I guess a year ago I forgot to grind the welds off of the outside of the pulpit stanchion mounts. All of them.  She didn't throw the grinder at me, but I'm sure she felt like it!

Thank you girl for doing that, I'm such a ditz!





I plan to find a couple of rubber balls for those pointy hooks. They will stop the table from popping off if someone hooks it, and more importantly stop an eyeball from getting poked out if someone falls onto it.

The boat needs to be cleaned up tomorrow for a little "showing" to some curious people around the neighborhood whom have "ganged up" on us for a look, guess we'd better oblige! We've been putting it off for months.

I'll post some wide-angle photos on Day 458 so everyone can have a look.



Day 456:
11 hours - Made SS brackets, anchor stops, cleaned up sprit, finished aft door latches. cleaned boat


  The Big Sailboat Project Forum
is back!
Welcome aboard!
Replace this button with a link to your site, mailme Main page