Day 406 Pedestal, engine stuff
The continuation of the pedestal has me smiling today! As can be seen, it's really coming together at last! Happily, the hand rail around it fit without too much persuasion. A tip to anyone making something like this would be not to try to get the measurements exact, just use your eye and leave room for adjustment once the welding begins.

Everything tacked together

As I welded the base to the verticals, I took measurements during the cooling to see how fast and how much it moved, then opposed it, or over opposed it in predicting how far it would swing back the other way.

The compass stand did the same thing as I welded it, but to a lesser degree. It's just a matter of patience.

       View from above to check straightness...

Occasionally I would step back, or look from above ( photo left ) to make sure nothing horrible was happening. It may be out but 1/4" here or 1/8" there but as long as it looks even and proportional, it doesn't matter. This is something one learns while doing the interior. Because of curves and angles assisting optical illusions, it's sometimes better to purposely knock things out a bit so the eye perceives it as it should be, even though it isn't aligned at all.
The bar across the top is to support the display unit ( I have yet to build )  which is going to be about 2.5" thick but needs to be angled toward the viewer. This is why it is sunken forward instead of straight across. The hooks ( which will have rubber balls pushed over them when not in use ) will be used in tandem with  the small "U"  below for a cockpit table. Having a table in the cockpit while at anchor is a wonderful experience to eat at. We wouldn't be without it!
Hopefully I can get some of the smoothing and polishing done at work. We loaded her into the back of the car (heavy!) and hope for the best. Seems it's going to be wuite a job as the pipe is actually quite pitted. Arggg!

Gena running wires below

Gena was doing some engine wiring, but her main job today was getting room for the transmission heat exchanger. This is a neat little thing we found on our parts engine. As water flows through it, the oil from the transmission is cooled by a core through which the oil flows. ( photo left )

The $900 we paid for that engine was a very good idea and well worth it. All these pieces would have really added up!

Anyway, Gena needed me to cut a frame out some so this could fit on the engine. I almost had a coronary when I saw how much smoke there was inside the boat leaving black dust all over everything. Good thing the forward doors were closed!

Doors on!
After nearly 5 weeks after the small locker was put up over the dining area, I finally got around to putting on the doors. I, for the life of me, can't figure out why the stain didn't absorb as well resulting in a big color difference. It's really noticeable with the flash on the camera. Oh well!

Day 406:
10 hours  - welded together pedestal, mounted transmission cooler, other engine bits and pieces

DAY 405

The Big Sailboat Project Forum
Come sign the guest book! leave comments, links, more!

Days 407+