Day 379 Doors doors doors
Today for me was actually a continuation of yesterday. I stayed up until 2 a.m. working on door frames and then couldn't sleep.( Thinking about what I would be doing next ) As we are on holidays I thought, might as well get back out there and continue. Boat building can really be *all* one thinks about sometimes, especially when one enjoys it so.

Fist thing ( for Gena ) in the morning, we put in the frame and hung the chain locker door. The hinges are solid stainless and have a 5/16" pin. We have a whole box of them we found on ebay a couple of years ago. They are bolted right through the frame and steel bulkhead with a total of 12 bolts. The door has screws into the solid oak.

Then I put in some 1" x 1/2" waterproof gasket. I want to glue the edges but we're going to wait and see how this gasket seats etc. One thing I really noticed is once the door is closed it is very soundproof. Amazing! I can only hope the door between the forward stateroom and the dining area is as soundproof. That way I can have some "privacy" in the studio, without disrupting Gena. ;-)
Gena ran some wire down the dining area bulkhead in prep for all of the panels that will go into a small cupboard over the seating. The bulkhead (if you remember the paneling part of the project) has about 1/2" airspace between the ply and the styrofoam glued on to the steel bulkhead. An easy run for her.
To the left is one of the doors for over the berth. It is like a picture frame with some 1/2" ply inset into the back flush. I still love the 45 angles as I can route long lengths on all sides before the cuts. Much faster!

The photo to the right shows the finished door opening. It took two hours to smooth. On the forward side, the beams at the top and bottom are marginally thicker (1/8") on the forward side, probably because the wood wasn't a standard size, who knows, but won't be a problem. The gasket frame will be wrapped around the aft side, which is perfectly flat.

   
Making doors would be so much easier if everything was perfectly square! The ones over the berth needed to be routed in more ( they seat into the frame by 1/4") around the edges so they would end up even. It's just trial and error.

The locker over the berth has been a constant problem from start to finish. I think I have learned something here. It may be easier to just tear out an idea gone wrong rather than deal with it continually thereafter. Especially if it's integrated with something else. It's really hard to destroy something once so much time has been spent on it!

Gena cleaned up the whole forward section of the boat, which was getting very cluttered, and organized everything into sections on her desk aft. It looks so much better in here!!
 

I managed to cut and fit the sides for the cupboards ( photo right ) and make the dividers for the 4 lockers over the berth, as Gena wanted to store stuff in there -originally.

The small bow peak area needed some "blue stuff" so it can be used for more sails. The area was going to house the pressure washer but we realized it might be best to make it removable instead of using a long pressure hose. There will be some nylon webbing hooked across so the sails won't end up in the chain locker.


 

Day 379:
14 hours - Made 4 doors for desk and overhead cupboards, finished forward entry, made dividers over berth, wired for panels, side cupboard panels on desk.


To DAY 378

 

  BigBoat Foum  
   
 

To DAY 380+