|Day23||Back to the old "grind"!|
|At last spring
has arrived and today we officially recommence the big
Just like a rusty machine that has sat for a while, things were hard to start moving. Disorganized, routines forgotten, then remembered after a few mistakes, and most of all, breaking out of the "winter comfort zone" for us.
|The main long
weekend agenda included setting up our new tarp, priming
the whole boat, and putting in the aft stem-bar and a
support across the keel.
This year we would no longer be able to use the tent we built last year as once the boat is turned over, the tent frame would have to be much higher, and would be very unstable in the wind. So we decided to make two 'A' frames one at each end of the pad, and stretch a steel cable between the two to support the tarp hanging below from hooks. ( See photo to the right )
The new tent!
|This way once
the boat is turned over, the tarp will just hang over the
sides and could be weighted or tied down. When not in
use, it could be pulled back like a giant shower curtain.
The 'A' frames we made by straightening out the
chain-ling poles we used last year and bundling them
together in threes , two high, thus making them about 16
feet high. ( After the poles were dug into the ground a
The cable stretches some 60 feet across but is quite strong. The base we attached to the groung via another cable pinned down to below ground level in 5 places with 3 foot steel fence posts.
Tent needs re-enforcing!
|For the first night it
seemed it would do just fine as the wind was blowing
fairly strong and it was handling it ok. The next night
however, as luck would have it, there was a wind storm.
Several of the gromments at the base tore out. I guess
we'll have to put in some re-enforced grommets as they
are at the clew, tack, and head on a sail...
Oh well it'll be good practice!
|I spent much of
the day making a 'mock' transom out of spare steel we
didn't use for the radius sections, in the form of a
frame. This was so we may possibly get an idea of where
to trim the stringers. Gena did some grinding and priming
and gardening while waiting for the frame to be
Then things got complicated, so we quit for the day.
Put up 'A' frames. Set up new tarp. Grinding and priming. Made transom frame. 10 hours