|The initial foaming fun has been completed, but now comes to fine work.|
|We really did
miss a lot! Under the frames was expected, but some
places were fairly large. Happily our local hardware has
lots of the canned style of foam, albeit a little softer
than the big stuff, but cheap!
Gena went to work madly filling everything that showed a darker tinge of color, and I cut the styrofoam for the pilothouse bulkhead. ( right photos )
We think, apart from insulation, the styrofoam has helped deaden the sound somewhat. The framework of the dash will be bolted on the other side so a few small chunks will need to be cut out.
It now looks so clean and white in here, it's quite a shock going out through the pilothouse on the way out! What a mess in there!
Styrofoam inside the pilothouse bulkhead
The other side...
|It seems that some areas on the bottom of the hull are way too thin, so Gena is filling in those areas with more canned foam.|
|We also have a smaller tank
to do up under the web frames.
We are starting to wonder if putting in all these "T's" was a good idea. They are a real pain to get under. Recently we have read that a technique of tabs with wood strips running horizontally is easier. It sounds good, but I can see problems arising from going that way, especially toward the bow where curves are skewing quickly inward.
Anyway, we have decided (60/40) that the aft will be done this way. It's much less work, and in that area will have benefits.
When Gena suggested we lay wood over my beautiful frame job I just about freaked! So aft is a compromise.
6.5 hours - Foamed, foamed, styrofoamed, foamed. ( Not including evening work )