|Day 154||Evening out aft deck / cockpit areas|
|After a brief look at what should be next, and the possibilty of rain tomorrow, we decided to weld down the poop deck. This involved levelling out rizes and dips in the deck that have been bothering us for quite a while! For the most part, the deck was pretty close, but to stop "flopping" of the plate when stood on, intercoastals were installed to fill in the 2' and wider spaces. We realise that we should have ironed this all out before we continued to build up on the decks and side decks as this likely would have stopped the lifting before it started. It comes slowly as welds cool, and curved plate is layed etc, we either didn't notice or we forgot about it.|
Gena inspecting my cuts on the hatch cover, hmmm
It wasn't a lot of work, only a few hours, but my weight plus several bricks of lead had to be used to push it down in places. Wow what a difference! Even though the warps weren't easily seen, the feet notice as they walk over something not perfectly even.
I really wanted to cut out
the aft stateroom hatch in the coaming today, and I did!
( photo above )
The hatch will be a really
cool addition to the aft stateroom as it will be high
above the ceiling and give a "loft" feel to the
welded up the intercostals, I ventured into cutting the
first hatch frame out of the custom bent bars of
stainless steel plate. In the photo above, layed
together, it takes on a "window" frame look. I
find this a little undesirable. It's hard to imagine how
it will look with the tinted "glass" in it
though. An alternate design would be to trim off the
corners and put in a small triangle at 22º more
This may improve the look.
A funny though just came to mind: When we build something with so much effort and time, we don't want it to scream " home-made" or "amateur!!", yet, we all like to take credit where credit is due. It's the degree of balance that is the key.
7 hours - straightened out the coaming and cut out hatch opening. Waiting for the welder to hold stainless wire again!